Wednesday, January 26, 2011

3...Days of Packing

     Countdown to Travel! I leave on the 29th...so soon. I have started packing - my warm weather clothes that is. My cool weather clothes I need to wash first because I'm still wearing them. I can bring one 50 pound suitcase, one 40 pound carry on, and one "personal item" - my trusty backpack with my purse inside. I will also be responsible for a "Bethel Bag" full of supplies for our ministry sites and language classes.

     Packing for a whole semester in one suitcase is an interesting task. As an American I am used to having plenty of options for clothes and shoes. In Guatemala it is not unusual to wear the same couple outfits to church or school all the time. Actually, this is the most common situation. We have been encouraged to "lay out what we think we will need for the semester and then only pack half." This idea is a little scary to me. Four shirts for four months?? I don't think so. Needless to say, I have modified the packing instructions a little. I'm going to be pretty conservative on the number of things I bring, but I am bringing things that mix and match to create more outfits out of the same number of clothes.

     Besides clothes, I am packing gifts for my host family, shampoo etc., and a "self care kit". This is the stuff that fills my suitcase and seems unnecessary. Well, the personal care kit, that is. Beano? PeptoBismol? Immodium? I don't use these things normally, but Guatemala is not my normal! I've been told I'll need them...I kinda hope not.


    The state of my room during packing! Yikes!


        Partially packed!


     Items of the "self care kit."

     I don't feel quite ready, but I'm ready to be there!

4 comments:

  1. LEAH!!! I'm so excited for you! It seems like such an amazing experience :) I'm sure God will work in amazing ways while you're there, and I hope school goes well also!
    And...WOW...i bet you had a difficult time packing, i know i would!

    P.S. Yay, my red skirt made it in the first photo! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ella! I'm excited too! Packing was hard and not quite over yet. And yes, the red skirt is coming to Guate! I'll wear it to school and church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Yeah! Can't wait to help you in a about 40 hours! Love you sister!

    ReplyDelete